Why not begin each day with an uplifting daily practice?
What is a daily practice? A daily practice is a routine that you do each day that makes you feel calmer and happier. It has a positive effect on your mental, emotional, spiritual and physical well being.
If possible, a daily practice is best done at the beginning of each day. It sets a positive tone for the rest of your day. There are different practises you may choose to enjoy: yoga, stretching, drawing, singing, walking. I imagine that you have already guessed what mine is.
For those of you who have enjoyed a Restore Naturally Reiki course you know that I begin each day with hands on Reiki practise and have done since I learnt in 2002.
There are different ways you may enjoy self Reiki and how you wish to practise is entirely up to you.
Here are some 5 tips to get you started:
- Set aside 15 or more minutes to begin your practice,
yet thirty plus minutes is ideal. You may like to enjoy self Reiki:
- In your lounge room on a mat or couch
- Before you get out of bed
- In your backyard or a nearby park
Choose somewhere that’s comfortable. If you can’t kind a quiet area that’s okay because you can use sounds to help bring your mind back to the present moment.
- Decided where to place your hands
You may decide to place your hands on your hara (lower abdomen), your head, your shoulders, your heart energy centre (located in the centre of your chest), or use all of the hand placements you learnt in Reiki Level One.
Whatever you choose, stay doing the hands on practise for 15 minutes or more. Change hand positions when you feel that it’s time to move to the next position or use the same hand positions throughout the entire practise.
- Notice where your mind wanders to as you enjoy self Reiki.
- Do you begin thinking about what happened yesterday or what may happen during the day?
- Do you notice certain feelings arise?
- Do you notice that some thoughts and emotions are really easy to let go of and others loop around and around?
- Are you thoughts inspiring? Are they focused more on love (hope, peace, joy, gratitude e.t.c.) or more on fear (worry, doubt, anger e.t.c).
Whatever they are, practising noticing them without judgement and then letting them go.
The more you do hands on Reiki practice the more your thoughts and feelings will be focused on peace & gratitude and less on fear and worry.
- Notice any sensations that take place in your hands
- Do your hands feel warm as you do Reiki?
- Do they remain the same temperature?
- Do you feel that they need to stay in one position longer than another?
If they don’t change in temperature don’t worry. Instead notice how you feel before and after your Reiki practise.
- Do you feel more peaceful and happier.
If not, don’t worry about that either. Simply continue with the daily practise.
- Breathe deeply into your hara
As you enjoy your hands on practise breathe deeply into your hara (lower abdomen). Feel your lower belly rise as you inhale and soften as you exhale.
Deep breathing helps to relax your central nervous system and bring your mind to the present moment. If you are enjoying your hands on practise in the morning please set your alarm in case you drift back to sleep.
Enjoying a daily hands on Reiki practise helps connect you with greater feelings of gratitude & peace.
Hands on Reiki aligns you with these feelings so when you experience daily challenges you are better able to cope with them.
Those who have enjoyed Reiki Level One also know about the Reiki principles, that when practised, help to increase our health wellbeing. Each day presents many opportunities to practise being kind, grateful and honest and letting go of worry and anger.
I hope this helps! Enjoy your daily Reiki practise.